Miscellayneous

Midwest Lifestyle + Travel Blog

Hey there

I'm Layne · 30 · Chicago
Out here traveling, listening to Post Malone, and trying to slow things down a little bit.

What To Read Next

My Favorite Movie of All Time


As an avid film watcher, it's very rare that a film comes around that absolutely blows me away. Where every piece of the film is perfect, and when I tell somebody about it I become to excited to speak. In 2006, director Guillermo del Toro realized Pan's Labyrinth, a Spanish-American dark fantasy about a young girl, Ofelia, who is moving to her new stepfather's house, Captain Vidal, with her pregnant mother. When she arrives, she is sought out by a fairy who leads her through a labyrinth to Pan, a faun who tells Ofelia she is a princess and she must complete three tasks to return to her kingdom. Meanwhile, the Captain is fighting in the Spanish Civil War on the opposing side of his main maid's brother. 

There are a few different storylines happening between the war, Ofelia's mom, her tasks, and Mercedes and her brother, but that's what makes the film incredible. Each person is going through their own journey, and their own vantage point in their relationships.


When this film first came out, I remember clipping newspaper reviews about it and hanging them on me wall. I was only thirteen at the time, and was not old enough to see it. But, the make-up and costuming on Pan absolutely fascinated me. It's astounding to me that one team is capable to making prosthetics, make-up, clothing, and special effects to bring these bizarre, fantastic characters to life. I believe they won an Academy Award that year for their make-up.

Also, without spoilers, the ending was unexpected, yet I felt it was well-deserved. It didn't disappoint me in the least, it truly warmed my heart and made my eyes well-up. It's emotionally satisfying, to say the least. Each character is also incredibly developed. The acting is genuine, and for a film that's considered a fantasy, every detail is genuine and authentic. 

Also, the behind the scene photos make me laugh. He's so nonchalant:


I want to end this entry with the opening dialogue from the film to put all of the beauty I see throughout the film into one post. Since Pan's Labyrinth, I have been getting progressively more interested in foreign films. But, there is no film that has been so intriguing, intelligent, and thorough than this. Although there are subtitles, I highly recommend it.

I also found this interesting article about the themes explored throughout the film.

A long time ago, in the underground realm, where there are no lies or pain, there lived a Princess who dreamed of the human world. She dreamed of blue skies, soft breeze, and sunshine. One day, eluding her keepers, the Princess escaped. Once outside, the brightness blinded her and erased every trace of the past from her memory. She forgot who she was and where she came from. Her body suffered cold, sickness, and pain. Eventually, she died. However, her father, the King, always knew that the Princess' soul would return, perhaps in another body, in another place, at another time. And he would wait for her, until he drew his last breath, until the world stopped turning...

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *