October 10, 2016

Five Things: Favorite Horror Films



Hello, hello.
This is my favorite month because American Horror Story comes back on, and almost every channel plays at least one horror film this month. After all, it is the reason for the season. Horror films are my absolute favorite genre, nothing is more satisfying to me than a fictional masterpiece that can make completing even the simplest tasks, like going to the bathroom at night, a little scarier. This post is going to be a master post of my top five scary films, in no particular order, except for number one.

5. Insidious

I cannot put into words how much I love James Wan, the director of these movies. I'm watching the third film in the franchise as we speak, which I personally believe was the weakest, but they're all very well done in their own ways. The first film is my favorite. It took me a while to watch it all the way through and get into it because I wasn't accustomed to Wan's style. Then the second one came out and it absolutely terrified me. Especially with Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the TulipsI playing casually in the demon's lair. That song has given me chills ever since.

4. Friday the 13th (2009)

What a movie.
I can't necessarily call it a remake, because it kind of isn't. It doesn't follow the premise of the original movie. In this movie, five kids are looking for weed in the woods, and they all die except for one girl who goes missing. Fast forward to present day a group of kids are going camping, and they run into a boy looking for his sister (the missing girl.) Add in Jason Voorhies, who is massive in this film, which makes him even scarier. It kept me on the edge of my seat, definitely my favorite in the franchise.

3. The Conjuring

Two words: Vera Farmiga.
Another of Wan's movies that absolutely blew me away thanks to the most wonderful lady, Vera Farmiga, and their magical director. I have yet to watch the second one, but I got it for my birthday, so it's only a matter of time! The hide-and-seek parts make me jump, the weird moments with the wardrobe and the girls, this whole movie makes my skin crawl in such a satisfying, spooky way. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie, have a James Wan movie marathon. Alongside these, there is a book called The Demonologist written by Ed and Lorraine movie, the paranormal investigating couple that this film is about.

2. Paranormal Activity

Say what you want about these movies, they scared the absolutely shit out of me. (At least 1-3 did.)
I remember watching the third one in the theater and I could not sleep that night because I was convinced that every sound in my house was the ghost coming for me. It's such a simple film, but I think the idea behind it is so creepy, what happens when you're asleep? The second one was a very well done sequel, even though the first time I saw it it was entirely in Spanish. Finally, the third one was such a spooky prequel with the girls playing Bloody Mary, and just being young girls while this demon is in their lives. If you're going to watch one, please watch all three because I think the first three really do each other justice.

1. The Strangers

I will never forget the first night I watched this movie. I was at my friend Camille's house with my other friend Taylor and we decided to watch it On Demand. Mind you, we are all in walking distance of each other, so Taylor and I were planning on walking home that evening, and instead we ran home terrified of the Strangers lurking in under street lamps. To me, this easily wins my number one spot because it's a very probably plot. Their reason for attacking this couple is simply because they answered the door. This is such a well done film, and it has the same effect every time I watch it, and although I know it like the back of my hand, it terrifies me every time.



Post a Comment

© Layne Joy. Design by FCD.