March 14, 2017

What I'm Reading




Hello. (:

I've been on a bit of a Teen Fiction kick lately, which is nice because that's where my interest lies when it comes to writing. I'm going to start off this post by telling you that these are potentially three of my favorite books in their genre, and Nicola Yoon has quickly become one of my favorite authors/people. After reading these novels, I watched interviews with her and she's an absolute delight. She reminds me of one of my old friends from high school, and I adore her voice.

Everything Everything
I'd be lying if I told you I wanted to read this before watching the trailer. But, the film looked so interesting, so I decided to borrow it from the library. (The children's section where the shelves come up to my chest and I look a little strange.) I absolutely loved this novel, though I saw the plot twist coming from a mile away. I was also surprised this was in the children's section, because I don't think I would recommend it for anybody under the age of 13. It's a very sweet, uplifting book, and it definitely had my interest as a page-turner through the entire reading.

The Sun is Also a Star 
I didn't think I would like this one as much as Everything Everything, but I ended up loving it 100x more. This novel discusses diversity in relationships, which delivering quirky teen romance, while also dealing with serious, real issues including immigration, deportation, and coming of age. I found myself actually crying at the end of this novel. It takes place in the span of one day, which I throughly enjoyed because it was such an extraordinary day for the protagonists, and Yoon really takes you into that world with them.

All the Bright Places
This novel is by Jennifer Niven, and out of the three books pictured above, this was my favorite for a different reason. First of all, her protagonists are so human. They're very average people, and I think everybody knows a Finch in their life, so it made the novel that much more enjoyable and relatable. I didn't care too much for Violet as a character. However, Niven delivers when it comes to sensory details, and the bits about just how in love two people can be. I was also heartbroken by the ending, and that's an understatement. I sobbed on the bus, and again at my kitchen table, but it was beautiful because of that, and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Post a Comment

© Layne Joy. Design by FCD.