April 24, 2017

Motivation Monday · 11

Hello, and Happy Monday.

I've been having a difficult weekend when it comes to my social circle of friends, and I wanted to come on here and talk about getting rid of toxic people in your life. I've come to a big realization about some of the people I surround myself with, and the way they treat me are not fair to me. They have been taking advantage of me, putting me down to make themselves feel better, and continuously putting other people before me when I have put them first for so long. Although cutting people out is difficult, you may not necessarily have to cut them out all together, rather limiting your contact with them and finding people to surround yourself with that give off more positive energy.  

The problem with toxic people and relationships is that they're not always easy to pick out. Sometimes, it can take years to realize that people are detrimental to your health, and that's okay. For example, I have known a few of the people I am decided to sever ties with since middle school. We'll have spurts of positive interactions, and then it all begins to go downhill. Because it's taken me so long, I've decided to create a list of traits that I have experienced toxic people for future reference to myself, and to potentially help some of you evaluate any relationships you may be on the fence about.

  • They make you feel like you are not good enough, or they are constantly putting you down to make themselves feel better.
  • They comment on small things that you do wrong, and don't let your mistakes go. They make fun of you for past mistakes.
  • They make you feel guilty if you are different from them. They make fun of you when you do something different.
  • They continue to bring people around that may have previously hurt you, or people that you are not necessarily comfortable around.
  • They are manipulative and controlling.
  • They don't take no for an answer, and instead they persist until you are worn down. Or, they guilt trip you if you say no.
  • They are selfish and narcissistic.
  • They don't take your feeling into consideration when in a potentially dangerous situation, rather they worry about themselves and leave you to fend for yourself.
Maybe we shouldn't leave the spring cleaning to just our possessions. Maybe we should clean out some of the negativity in our lives and focus on spring bringing more positive vibes into the light. 



Post a Comment

© Layne Joy. Design by FCD.