Miscellayneous

Midwest Lifestyle + Travel Blog

Hey there

I'm Layne · 30 · Chicago
Out here traveling, listening to Post Malone, and trying to slow things down a little bit.

What To Read Next

Coffee Chats · Getting There


This quote is by S.E. Hinton, one of my favorite ladies for creating The Outsiders, and this was something that I needed to read; especially in 2017 and especially in the era of social media and comparison. 

I've been feeling like there are so many people that are younger than I am, and they have accomplished so much more than I have, and this can be a dangerous concept to dwell in because everybody moves at a different pace, and my focus continues to switch on where I want to be and where I want to go.

That being said, I think I need to pick one project and see it all of the way through before thinking that it isn't something that I want to accomplish and moving onto something else. As though I need to make a list of the things that will bring self-fulfillment and check them off one by one. There is a pretty large list of things, especially to do before I turn twenty-five next October. 

I also consistently fall into the trap of comparison, whether it be physically or a lifestyle step that I haven't made yet, and that is where I find myself getting discouraged. So many people that I watch on YouTube, and even my friends are living on their own, or have plans to in the near future, where financially I am not ready to move out and live comfortably yet, and this makes me feel like I am miles behind everybody else. 

It also seems that my peers have a career ahead of them, something that their major has solidified for them and they made the step quite fast, where I haven't found my career yet. I have a few ideas, but I also feel the pressure that I need to get going and set it into stone because I'm not getting any younger. 
I'm not sure why my age has hit me so hard this year. I think it's because I am in my mid-twenties and can no longer use my early-twenties as an excuse to not be doing something.

These have been the thoughts making a mess inside of my head this week, and I stumbled across this quote and it put my mind at ease because it has instilled a piece into me that believes I am jumping the gun on a lot. It's telling me that it's okay to not have things figured out yet because there is so much more time ahead of me, and it has taken this weight off of my shoulders, which is why I wanted to share it with you all. I think you should know, regardless of your age, that it is only a number and there are so many things you can still make happen.

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *